EPA National Estuary Programs Workshop
Beyond Water and Salt – Spicing Up the National Estuary Program
Directors meetings: Monday, February 22, at the Palomar Hotel (3 PM to 9 PM)
EPA Workshop: Tuesday February 23 - Thursday February 25
EPA offices at 1201 Constitution Ave. N.W., WJC East Room 1153
To register for the meeting, click this meeting registration link. This is a new weblink!. Registration fees for the meeting are $150 for dues-paying members, $300 for non-paying members.
A block of rooms has been reserved at the Hotel Palomar at DuPont Circle at the rate of $189/night, plus taxes and fees. Call 1-877-866-3070 and reference "National Estuary Programs Meeting 2016." You can also register online (includes discount rate). A certain number of Queen Deluxe Rooms are reserved in our block from Sunday 2/21 through Thursday 2/25. Based on availability you should be able to reserve additional nights at our special rate for three days prior to and after our block. On February 1st we will be calling the hotel to release any unreserved rooms, so don’t dally!
EPA Building Security
You will need a valid driver's license or other suitable photo ID to enter the EPA building. If you have a driver's license from Arizona, Louisiana, Minnesota*, New Hampshire, or New York*, you should bring a passport or other acceptable ID to enter the EPA building (*enhanced driver’s licenses from Minnesota and New York are acceptable, read the information at the very bottom of this page: www.epa.gov/aboutepa/visiting-epa-headquarters). This EPA website page identifies alternative or combinations of non-compliant IDs required for entry to an EPA building. For example a non-compliant drivers license and a state government or school ID card together will allow for entry.
Here is the February 11, 2016 Draft Agenda. This training workshop objectives and themes include rethinking a new vision for the NEPs -- Share common challenges, best practices to address hot issues, and tech transfer.
For questions regarding the schedule, contact Pam DiBona at: firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions regarding registration or the ANEP Board of Directors meeting, contact Stan Hales at: email@example.com.
If you are presenting or leading a session at the 2016 NEP Workshop please be sure to send your presentations to Nancy Laurson by Feb. 19.
Abbreviated Schedule and Agenda
Monday, February 22 at the Palomar Hotel
- 3:00pm-5:00 pm: Various Director subcommittee meetings
- 5:00pm-9:00 pm: Reception, Director's dinner (6:30 pm) and business meeting (7-9 pm)
Tuesday February 23, 2016 at EPA Headquarters
- 12:30 - 1:00 Registration
- 1:00 - 1:30 --Welcome and Meeting Charge: Dave Evans, Deputy Director, OWOW
HQ perspective Bernice Smith, Chief, CMB
--Regional Perspective on NEP Vision Margherita Pryor, EPA Region I
- 1:30 – 3:15 NEP Actions towards Improvements Part I: Tom Ford, Roberta Swann, Curtis Bohlen, Tom Borden (NEP Directors), and Dave Evans or Benita Best-Wong; Facilitator: Bill Long, Acting Associate Director, OCPD
- 3:15 – 3:45 Break
- 3:45 – 5:00 Resources and Opportunities from the EPA Michael Craghan, Coastal Management Branch(CMB)
- 5:00 Adjourn
Wednesday February 24, 2016
- 8:30am-9:00am Registration
- 9:00 – 10:15 Trash Free Waters: Laura Johnson, TFW Team Leader, Marine Pollution Control Branch
- 10:15 – 10:45 Break
- 10:45 – 12:00 Community Involvement and Getting to Behavior Change thru Social Media and Marketing Nancy Laurson, CMB and NEPs
- 12:00pm - 1:30pm Lunch on your own
- 1:30 – 2:15 EPA’s Oceans and Coastal Priorities Dr. Bernice Smith, Chief, CMB
- 2:15 – 2:30 Break
- 2:30 – 3:30 Action Planning
- 3:30 – 3:45 Break
- 3:45 – 5:00 Report Out to EPA Senior Management: NEP Directors, Facilitator: Bill Long, Acting Associate Director, OCPD, Dave Evans, OWOW Deputy Director Ann Campbell, Acting Division Director, OCPD
- 5:00 - 5:15 Excellence: Wrapping Up – What we would like to see. -- Dr. Bernice Smith and Dr. Stan Hales, President, Association National Estuaries Programs
- 5:30 – 7:30 Social Gathering
Thursday February 25, 2016
- 8:30 - 9:00 Meet and Greet
- 9:00 – 10:30 CCMP Update/Revision: Bill Long, Acting Associate Director, OCPD, Facilitator Nancy Laurson, CMB
- 10:30 – 11:00 Break
- 11:00 – 12:00 NEP Program Evaluation Moving Forward: Bill Long, Acting Associate Director, OCPD, Facilitator Noemi Mercado, CMB
- 12:00 Adjourn